Saturday, August 7, 2010

At Lizzy's in Chelsea

Lizzy's table - the benches remind me of the Schuss table
Kevin and I are in New York this weekend. We came to visit his parents and his brothers. My dear friend Lizzy is away for the weekend so Kevin and I are staying in her beautiful apartment in Chelsea. I had not been to see her place in quite some time and she has done a great job decorating. Decorating and interior design are a new interest for her and she really has a way of finding unique items and pulling it all together for a very comfortable and welcoming feel. I love spaces that seem to invite friends and facilitate good conversation and shared food. I absolutely love her table. I imagine the room full of friends, enjoying good wine and food and the comfort of easy laughter. Meals are a time for coming together. When I was young we spent a great deal of time at Schuss, my family's home in Northern Michigan. The table there was long with benches for seats. It seemed that there was always room for one more person at the table and my mom, grandma and aunts really did it up in the kitchen. I remember piping hot bowls of soup made from scratch and rich french toast with homemade whipped cream. I swear I have years of memories of my mom peaking her head out from the kitchen and a meal automatically tasted better when shared around the table at Schuss. There was a great feel to those benches. In the winter they were slippery as we usually were sitting in our snow pants or long johns. In the summer they were sticky because I was usually only wearing a bathing suit. Hours around that table with family and friends made for many a cozy night and I cherish the memories of a room full of laughter and the smells from that kitchen.
Lizzy's Bar- Well organized for a fun party

No comments:

Post a Comment