Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cherry Republic

Northern Michigan: If you have never been you have not really lived. I was fortunate to spend a tremendous amount of time when I was growing up in a little town called Mancelona, population 1400. My teeny tiny New England college was bigger than that. To me, Mancelona was the gateway to the amazing world of Northern Michigan. There are so many beautiful places "up north" as any good native Michigander calls it. This blog is even named after my favorite lake up there, Torch.

Tonight I had dinner with Molly. We have been friends since high school and were roommates up until I moved in with Kevin this past May. She just returned from a last minute birthday escape to one of our favorite places in Michigan the town of Glen Arbor on the shores of Lake Michigan, population 788. I am pretty sure there are apartment buildings on my street with populations greater than this entire breath taking town. In the town is a world famous store, the Cherry Republic. Their motto: Life, Liberty, Beaches and Pie. It has been several years since I have made it up to the Cherry Republic. It used to be an every summer adventure. Molly brought back some of my favorite CR treats - sour cherry patches. 

I think my mother could write a book about great places to go in Northern Michigan. It is the best vacation spot ever! The beaches are beautiful, the water is not salty, its the cherry capitol of the world and we have the 3rd most beautiful lake in the world according to National Geographic (Torch Lake)!

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment