Saturday, August 14, 2010

Love

There are things in life that speak to each of us in different ways. This week I was reminded of how important love is. I know its cheesy but it's true. On Thursday I came home to a surprise package. It was lost in the mail for a while but somehow made it to my door. Inside was the most beautiful handmade blanket. I lost my most beloved Gram about one year ago on August 21st. She was one of the most important people in my life. Each day I miss her. So much of her is still visible in my life. Every day there are little things that remind me of her. These memories I hold very dear, but she is still gone. I cannot call her on the phone and tell her in gory detail about my day. I don't get her cute cards and notes in the mail any more. I miss her laugh, how she smelled, how soft she was to hug. But I am so lucky because I still have my amazing, awesome, hero of a grandpa and I have another set of grandparents who have sort of adopted me. The beautiful surprise care package was from them, my non-blood related grandparents, Dee and Cal.

Dee hand kit each of the thousands of stitches that make up this blanket. It is all shades of blue and maybe from the title of this blog you might be able to tell I love blue! The first entry is all about beds and blankets and snuggling under soft things and how that to me is love. When I opened the package the first thing I did was wrap the blanket around my shoulders. My mind immediately jumped to all the wonderful nights or cold afternoons I would spend snuggled under this beautiful creation. Blankets are a thing of comfort. I always pick the softest most well-worn one when I am sick or sad or exhausted. I know that this blanket handmade with so much love will be a huge part of my life going forward. I am sure that someday I will spread this blanket down on the ground and let my kids have tummy time on it, maybe they will even crawl for the first time on it. I am pretty sure I will use it to tuck them in tight when they are sick and need that little extra bit of comfort. I could not imagine a more thoughtful or perfect gift. I am so lucky to have such wonderful people in my life. My dear Gram might not be here anymore but she has some amazing people filling in for her. Some people never get to meet their grandparents I was born with six living grandparents and along the way found two more.

Here is some detail the beautiful hand knit blanket that Dee so lovingly made. It is all new and shiny now but I actually cannot wait until it is worn in, a little softer from a tear or two, a runny nose, nights of late night laughter or deep restful sleep. Life will eventually get worn in between each stich making it all the more valuable.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful entry, Katie. Grandma Dee made one for each of the grandchildren a few years ago, as you know. When she was almost finished with yours, her shoulder "stopped working," as she puts it. As soon as it felt better, she picked up your blanket again. She has printed this out to savor. (Auntie Pam)

    ReplyDelete