Saturday, August 21, 2010

Remembering Gram

I thought that in memory of my grandma Doreen Audrey Burn, I would share the eulogy I gave at her funeral. We will always love and miss you Gram! 

Doreen Audrey Burn 1/28/1928 - 8/21/2009 

Each of us is here today because in some way my grandmother touched our lives. For me in particular my grandma was the strongest influence in my life that guided me on the path to the person I am today. From my very first memories I was my grandmothers girl. I am even blessed with her striking red hair.

In so many ways my grandmother passed on the things she loved to me. My grandma was the caretaker in the family. She was a nurse. She worked multiple shifts some days to help support her children. I loved sitting at grandma’s table while she drank her coffee and put on her face as she called her morning make up routine while she told me stories of taking care of her patients. In all honesty, I attribute these morning sessions and her life long encouragement as the source of my motivation to become a doctor. Grandma always said she wanted to make it to be there to watch me graduate from medical school, although she didn’t quite get there, she came this past April to Washington and spent a day as a medical student. My mom and Buzz wanted to skip class in the afternoon but not my Grandma. She wanted to be right there in the middle of the action, learning about what was new in medicine. I am so glad she was able to experience medical school. It was probably more meaningful than watching me walk across a stage.

My grandma also helped many others though out her life. She once cared for a boy with the stove-pipe legs and she had to put stiff jeans on him every day. She recalled how hard she worked taking care of him. After she retired and her grandchildren were in school during the day, she volunteered at North Oakland Medical Center in the recovery room. But her most loved charity was the Tutwiler Clinic in Mississippi. I had no idea as a child that not every family had a constant Tutwiler box going. This was the box where you put clothes that no longer fit and toys you had out grown. When full, the box was shipped down to Mississippi to help the families in Tutwiler.  My grandma told me stories of how in the 1980s she got on a plane and headed straight down there to help the Sisters take care of the people of Tutwiler.  I remember how much she loved getting letters from the Sisters or Josie the nursing student that she and my grandpa put through school.

I have so many memories of my grandma. And although we took many adventures together the most meaningful memories took place at her house and at Schuss. I always loved sitting on her lap as a small child and snuggling so close to her chest. She always smelled of perfume or chardonnay and in the winter of her fur coat. I remember how soft and warm she was how my head nestled perfectly on to her chest, how she would rub my back and sing songs to me.

Whenever I was sick as a child we went to Grandma’s house. Grandma always made me feel better. She would make the best oatmeal or chicken soup, let me watch Regis and Kathie Lee and bring cool cloths to place on my forehead. I remember having the flu as a child and my grandma sitting up with me all night as I was sick. She was the best medicine for any illness. She could instantly quiet any tears with her grandma sugars.  I loved sleeping over at grandma and grandpa’s house. I remember lying in bed between the two of them with the soft light on so they could read while I fell asleep. I am not sure how many grandparents let their grandchildren sleep in bed with them but mine sure did. There was no place warmer, safer or where I felt more loved the nestled in between my two favorite people on earth.

My grandma enjoyed the finer aspects of life. She loved to use fancy words for everyday things just to make things a little more special. The couch was not called the couch it was the divan. According to Grandma naps on the divan were more restorative than a nap on an ordinary couch. Grandma had quite a few collections, most memorably her doll collection. My childhood memories will forever include the Shirley Temple dolls. Each granddaughter got hers on her 12th birthday.  Grandma and Grandpa believed in special holiday dinners and stays at the Kingsley hotel and trips to see the Nutcracker. Grandma always was willing to take us to the pool at Schuss or down to Pine Lake. It was as if her sole purpose in her life was to spoil her grandchildren rotten. I think we can all say she succeeded. 

But that is not to say that my grandma did not have rules, because she did.  First rule, you must like potatoes. If you do not like potatoes you are not invited for dinner and you are kicked out of the Irish club. Second rule, the most important holiday is St. Patrick’s Day. St. Patrick’s day and Ireland will be celebrated at all other holidays, especially at Christmas. We all love the now famous Irish Christmas Tree. Third rule, never dye your hair. I think this rule applied mainly to me but I am sure she told it to each her grandchildren when we reached that age where purple or pink stripes in the hair was trendy. Grandma also taught me to shop. Her advice on the stock market was thumbs up ok to go shopping that day. Thumbs down, that day you stay home. Back to school shopping with Grandma was the best.  My favorite part was coming home and trying everything back on to show Grandpa what we got. He always was so enthusiastic and patiently watched our fashion show.

My grandparents introduced me to travel. From family vacations to Schuss or Florida, to Disney World, horseback ridding in Tennessee, summers in Mackinac and of course colonial Williamsburg. Grandma always said that one day we would go to Ireland. Although we never quite made it there, for my 20th birthday Grandma and Grandpa took me on a cruise to the Bahamas. I am sure that Grandma would rather have seen the rolling green hills but at 20 I was more interested in the beach.

I am sure that at some point each person in this room received a letter in the mail from my grandma. She was a great letter writer and I will miss her notes terribly. They usually included a clipping from the paper of something that she thought I would be interested in. For me any article about a doctor was included. Always signed with and xoxo gram with some stickers. Gram usually put some money in the card with a note that said pretend you are having a cup of coffee with me. She took hers black.  

Although we will forever miss my grandma Dorie, each of us can continue to do the things she loved. We must remember each day to help those that are less fortunate. Keep those Tutwiler boxes going. We can put others before ourselves. We can maintain that fightin’ Irish spirit and never give up no matter how hard things may seem. We can remember to dance in the kitchen to Don Ho, drink chardonnay or hooch and even out the edges of the brownie pan. That sometimes you just have to stop and take a breathe.  ALWAYS celebrate St. Patrick’s day. 

Some favorite pictures: 
My Grandpa and Gram at their wedding

Four generations of first born women: Beatrice Anderson, Doreen Burn, Sally Brown and me


My Gram leaned to swim as an adult. She was so proud!

Gram, my sister Melissa and I in outfits she bought on a trip to Austria and Germany

At the Day in the Life of a Medical Student 








1 comment:

  1. I couldn't read over the eulogy again-- I would start bawling, for sure! I keep the little hand-towels she gave me in a special place where I can see them every day...what a great lady. I'm so glad I knew her.

    ReplyDelete