Wednesday, August 11, 2010

High Efficiency or Not

One of the things I was most excited for when Kevin and I moved to our new place was the new appliances. They were all brand new and all high-efficiency. I have a weird love of doing laundry and probably do way too much of it. I love when the clothes come out of the dryer smelling great, all warm and soft. I am also into recycling and reducing waste. I get super annoyed when people throw away things that easily can be recycled. I was really looking forward to our new efficient and environmentally friendly appliances, until I actually started using them, especially the washer and dryer! The washer is one of the low water models and seriously the clothes come out of the washer maybe 1-4 loads not even clean. I've had to rewash multiple loads. I've tried smaller loads, different detergent etc and still things come out stinking of sweat or the hospital. Then there is our dryer. I have never had to iron so much in my life. Everything comes out a mangled heap of wrinkles. Pants are the worst! They come out looking like someone took each leg twisted it as tightly as possible and then put it back in the dryer. Even after intense ironing with steam the pants are not wrinkle free. The only way I've managed to get them even a bit less wrinkly is to dry them one at at time. Talk about inefficient. I've now resorted to hanging most of our clothes to dry then putting them back in the dryer for a little fluffing up. This is probably much better for the environment but seriously, if you are in a rush and need those scrubs ASAP some hard core ironing better be in your plans - and scrubs are not something that should have to be ironed! As much as I wanted to love our new washer and dryer, when we move to our next place, I am steering clear of any low water models and any of the we tumble your clothes in 250 directions type. I am sick of the clothes coming out in a knotted mess. I miss the days of warm fluffy laundry.

These high-tech machines may look nice but the clothes that come out of them do not!

No comments:

Post a Comment