Sunday, August 29, 2010

North Side Social


There is a great coffee shop and wine bar not too far away from us in Arlington. It is actually the born-again version of the place where Kevin and I met. For the first two years of medical school the former shop, Murky Coffee was my go-to study location. I spent entire days there listening to lectures, memorizing charts, drinking way too much coffee, eating too many blueberry muffins and laughing with some of my best friends from medical school. I was devastated when it closed, although the place badly needed a facelift. It was sort of a dump but we loved it because no one kicked you out for sitting too long at a table or for bringing snacks from home. I may have even spent more time at Murky than in my own apartment during those first two years. Once it closed it remained shut for what seemed like an eternity - all through studying for the first step of the boards which was a huge disappointment since I had trained myself to do my best learning there. When it finally reopened with a new name, new owners and some serious bodywork I was skeptical. How could any place live up to Murky? I was afraid it would turn into a snobby wine place with coffee on the side where they hated people working.

Much to my surprise it is not. It is much nicer than the old Murky. It is possible to spend a few hours there now and not feel like you need to shower again. They have very tasty food and a much bigger menu and although the wine is expensive and the crowed a bit more dressed up, there is plenty of good study space and the staff are just as accommodating. Plus as the name implies it really is a great place to socialize. I seem to always run into people I know or friends of friends. I have come to love the cleaned up look and appreciate the updated and expansive menu. The customers may not be as quirky as before but change has done this place good. I am sure North Side Social or the NSS as we have come to call it will continue to be a favorite on our rotation of coffee shops at which to work.

I read an article in the New York Times last week about the changing atmosphere of coffee houses, moving away from the luxurious sit down place with comfy couches and lots of tables to a bar where people can refuel and leave quickly. I am not sure that in our fast paced society we need to rush things any more than they already are. It seems from the number of people at places like NSS others feel the same way. We are in an era where the laptop has become the mobile office and people have the flexibility to work from home, but there is something about having as sense of community that I think humans innately crave. Instead of making the daily journey to the office people make the daily walk to the coffee shop where they chat with those they meet, make friends and find the sense of comradery that working in an office once provided. Thanks for not disappointing North Side Social.

No comments:

Post a Comment