Monday, August 9, 2010

Mousercise





That's Donald showing us how to do it. Clearly the pink tights, leg warmers and full on leotard were required. I am pretty sure I owned that outfit in 1987.
For my whole life I have been an early-riser. When I was a child my parents devised a system so that I would not wake them up at an absurd hour. They told me I could get up and watch TV quietly by myself. At 5 AM in the mid 1980s the Disney channel played Mousercise which was an aerobics class for Mickey, Minnie, Donald and all of the other Disney friends. I am not sure how many months or years my 5 AM Mousercise habit went on but I would get a bath towel, lay it on the floor and do some exercises right there in my pajamas along side Mickey Mouse. I guess I started my exercise habit early. I am not sure if you can still buy a Mousercise VHS and we do not even have a way to play but it would be awesome. As soon as I watched the opening video I was brought right back to my early morning routine. I even remembered the words and the last time I saw Mousercise was 20+ years ago at least!

Flash forward to modern times and I am still exercising, although my workout buddies are not people dressed in Disney costumes. I was super excited today because our building finally put in a gym. We've lived here for a few months now and I've been waiting patiently for it to be done. I no longer have any excuses not to sweat each day. All I have to do is walk down stairs to work out. It is not a fancy gym but the machines have a high-tech hook up for your ipod to watch movies or music videos. I was day dreaming of all the episodes of 24 I could watch while working out today; although, I am not sure what could be as thrilling as a spandex filled 1980's aerobics videos of my past. Get out those legwarmers and Mousercise!






No comments:

Post a Comment